Monday, January 16, 2012

Fancy Food Fair

Hello Claire! It was very fun, but boy did I feel sick at the end. I enjoyed talking with the business people about their products. I had always wondered why the cinnamon I use says "Saigon Cinnamon," and a purveyor of spices explained that this was the most aromatic, most expensive of cinnamons, grown in Vietnam. We wondered why Costco sells it so cheaply, and couldn't find an explanation. For me the best thing I tasted was Double Rainbow's Coffee Blast ice cream, which is available at of all places, the Trader Joes where I shop every day! That's a good thing, and I often pick it up and turn it around to look at the calories, then wistfully put it back. Maybe I should buy it and treat myself to a spoonful a day.
There were some interesting flavors of ice cream, like avocado and scambled egg with bacon. I had heard of these in restaurant reviews in the New York Times, and it was fun to check them out for myself. They really are good!
There were a surprising number of men wearing kipot in the fair -- I would have thought that the laws of kashrut would prevent orthodox Jews from making the food business their occupation, but apparently quite a few do.
Judging from my recollections ice cream, or frozen foods in general, are my favorite. That's a good thing to realize about myself.
What were your discoveries? Thanks for the tickets, and see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment